Monday, June 3, 2013

Hello wonderful students!
   
       I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I attended a couple different events this weekend and photographed them. One in particular I would like to share was the rally in Philadelphia to save schools. I'm not sure if you've been following what is happening in the Philadelphia school system but it is a mess! This past Thursday the School Reform Commission (SRC) voted on the budget for the upcoming school year. This budget only included teachers and one principal, THAT IS IT. I cannot even believe that the SRC feels a school can function without nurses, music and art programs, sports, librarians, vice principals, and of course counselors. It is an outrage! So a friend, who is in the same school counseling program, and I went to support the current school counselors and the school district as a whole. I am not from Philadelphia but my mother is, I've lived there, and I served there last year at Frankford high school; so it has a special place in my heart. My plan was to work in the Philadelphia school district after graduation because they need a lot of help and the students deserve great counselors. As of now, I have no job to go to. The budget passed on Thursday so currently everything I mentioned above has been cut from all Philadelphia public schools. This fight however is not over!

I am working on connecting with a current counselor to see how my classmates and I can help. If you would like more information and/or want to support please go to the Facebook page for Philly School Counselors United https://www.facebook.com/pages/Philly-School-Counselors-United/266786333458724


In route to the school district building

Student who spoke so well about her feelings on losing key players in her education and future

 

I wonder how the school district will decorate their building next year without art programs 



Student artwork, students performing, supporters, myself and classmate

No comments:

Post a Comment